1. REVEALING SUPERPOWERS. One evening over dinner, my daughters and I discussed what superpower we each would want if we were only allowed one. My youngest wanted the power of telekinesis, as she explained because, “That way, I wouldn’t have to get out at bed at night to turn off the light or brush my teeth, I could just command the light-switch to flip to off or the toothbrush to come into my room and brush my teeth without me even having to get up.” That decision made me wonder if her current schedule of school, piano and trumpet lessons, and debate team might be taxing her a little too much. I said I’d like the power to tele-transport the way the characters in Star Trek did, a desire that surprised no one given how much I complain about how expensive airline tickets are. My oldest said she would like the powers of the Persuader, so she could talk people into doing whatever she wanted them to. That seemed like a wasted wish because it would be entirely superfluous. With her father at least, she seems to be in full possession of that skill already.Read More...
Get funny parenting stories every week.
What is this silliness?
DAD FLASHES™ offers short, funny stories about parenting and marriage. They are shared by John Luiz, the lucky husband of Claudia Sheftel Luiz and the proud father of two teenaged girls.
Recent DAD FLASHES
- Am I a card-carrying member of the surly businessmen tribe? March 14, 2015
- Our dog sets a high standard for obedience that I can’t quite measure up to! February 28, 2015
- My girls’ hand jewelry qualifies them as effective bodyguards. February 21, 2015
- My wife exposes our kids to highbrow treats. I do the lowbrow! February 14, 2015
- Is my daughter’s wanting the powers of the Persuader really necessary? February 7, 2015