1. NOT SO HOSPITABLE. My youngest daughter recently took a train to New York city, and she described her process of deciding whom to sit next to if there were no row of seats she could have to herself. First, she looks for another teenaged girl, whom she assumes won’t mind having a kindred spirit by her side. Next, she looks for older women whose maternal instincts might prevent them from objecting to having a companion at their elbow for the journey. Finally, as a last resort, she’ll plop down next to a teenaged boy, as long as he looks like someone who won’t try to hit on her for the whole ride. I was shocked to learn that an older man in her father’s demographic wasn’t even in her consideration set. When I asked why, she explained, “Businessmen give you that annoyed look when you walk by their seat, like you’d better not dare to bother them while they work on their computers and phones.” I felt appalled that any man would glare so rejectingly at my daughter, until I remembered when I ride the train I probably use the same look to ward off other fathers’ teenagers.Read More...
Get funny parenting stories every week.
What is this silliness?
DAD FLASHES™ offers short, funny stories about parenting and marriage. They are shared by John Luiz, the lucky husband of Claudia Sheftel Luiz and the proud father of two teenaged girls.
Recent DAD FLASHES
- Am I a card-carrying member of the surly businessmen tribe? March 14, 2015
- Our dog sets a high standard for obedience that I can’t quite measure up to! February 28, 2015
- My girls’ hand jewelry qualifies them as effective bodyguards. February 21, 2015
- My wife exposes our kids to highbrow treats. I do the lowbrow! February 14, 2015
- Is my daughter’s wanting the powers of the Persuader really necessary? February 7, 2015